Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A Little Caterpillar Came to Our House to Play

My children have been wanting a pet for 
sometime. I grew up with lots of pets. We had cats, dogs, fish, birds, gerbils, rabbits, hamsters, turtles, even horses and cows. You name it, we had it at some point. I loved having them. So I can completely understand their desire for a pet. Problem is, Charles is not as gungho on the idea. Well, my children, being super smart, decided they were going to have a pet anyway. While working in the yard last weekend, we spotted several caterpillars. So, you guessed it, we had to keep one of the little guys. Bless his heart. We got a plastic container for him and put leaves and a stick in it. He must have known what was coming. I could almost hear him screaming, "NOOOO!!!". He was then taken on the ride of his life. The kids took him on the trampoline, a bike ride, and all through our house(upside-down). Ahhh, every caterpillars' dream day. They even named him. Cabby (I think it was supposed to be Catty but we misunderstood and no one knew the difference).  He spent the first night sleeping with Roo(still in his box of course).   
After Cabby visited Roo's class and the new wore off (after a WHOLE week), we reluctantly put him back in the yard. Our time with Cabby was not in vain, I believe we saved him from certain death. It was very cold here last week and many a not-so-lucky caterpillar were found on our back porch. After having Cabby, I wonder if we are really ready for a "real" pet. Maybe we will move up to a fish and see what happens. I'll keep you posted.



1 comment:

  1. Love the blog!!!! I saw you on Abby's and wanted to come by and check it out! Too funny-Cabby! :) That post had me grinning from ear to ear. We (I should say they) had a pet fish. Several. Note the word had. Let us know how it goes. Loved your profile too. Precious.

    ReplyDelete