Thursday, July 14, 2011

One of Those Days




Today I was having one of those days. I had gotten a babysitter for the 2 little ones, the big kids are at camp, and I had a list of things to accomplish. The first 2 things were going to Walmart and then to get my car washed. I got to Walmart and got everything I needed, which included school supplies. I was so glad to get that done. Being that I was doing this early instead of a few days before school starts, I really tried to think about each of my children and what they would want. You know, what color pencil box would Riley get if she were here. As I am buying their supplies, I am a little saddened that the summer is coming to a close quickly. And another year is upon us, which will be over and behind us just as quickly. My children are growing much faster than I ever imagined. But that's another post all together....back to my day. I left Walmart and went through the car wash. Then pulled into a parking space to vacuum out the car. OK..all those little warm fuzzy feelings I was having about my precious children melted right on the hot pavement. I looked in my 'way' back seat, as we affectionately call it, and there was the biggest mess I have ever seen. There were shoes, torn up paper, candy wrappers, candy, pens, pencils, etc, etc, etc. By the end of the clean up, my children were never going to have anything new ever again nor were they ever going see the sight of another electronic device. I was really upset with them that this was how they had treated our car. I know I should not be shocked but the backseat isn't like this and just assumed the 'way' back was the same. Boy, was I wrong. Anyway, after much mumbling and complaining, I came up with a plan and discussed it with Charles. We made a plan together of how to help our children continue to learn about responsibility and helping out as part of this family. That is not the point of this post. Tonight I sat down at my computer after much struggle to get our 4 in the bed. I was just going to quickly look at facebook and then go take a bath, but I happen to come across this website on a friend's status who has 5 children. Motherhood Is a Calling (And Where Your Children Rank). Wow! I was instantly reminded of what my calling as a mother really is about. I am blessed beyond measure by my Heavenly Father. I have had many people look at me with my 4 and ask me if I know how that happens. How sad that people think so little. All those little things like messy backseats or spots on the sofa are just small potatoes. I have the opportunity to teach my children that they are a gift and God has put them on this earth for something special. Or I can teach them that they are a complete burden. I make the choice each day. I pray I will choose the first and make a conscious effort to show them that.

No comments:

Post a Comment